We are looking for a highly motivated Product Owner to join our growing team! In the words of Joel Spolsky, a Product Owner is invaluable
(back in the day Microsoft called them Program Managers, but Product Owner seems to be the correct wording nowadays...). They make sure that the product isn’t driven by technical elegance more than marketability, and they make sure everyone is aligned on the product direction.
In this case, we are looking for an operationally-minded and tech-savvy product owner in order to scale the execution of a completely new feature that will be game-changing for Awesome Table: the addition of many data sources. You will have to help prioritize integrations by doing market research and talking to users, dive into third-party APIs to understand their use-cases and propose the simplest integrations, and coordinate many developers at once.
Working as a Product Owner at Awesome Table is a unique opportunity. We have millions of users and thousands of customers waiting for you to make their lives easier. We are a small team, so you won’t be one of a hundred and your impact will be felt inside and outside the company. You will help drive us in new directions. You’ll help us see things we haven’t seen before, consider things we’ve never considered before, and bring fresh perspective to our team. Brighten us up and put a big smile on our customers’ faces.
The Product Owner will report to the Head of Product and work closely with the Design, Engineering and Support teams.
- Gather requirements and write functional specifications for everything: new features, bug fixes, billing system upgrades, etc.
- Break down the specs into Jira tickets
- Coordinate releases with Engineering, Technical Writers and Marketing
- Write release notes
- Deeply understand customers and discover future opportunities by talking to them
- Deeply understand how users are using the product from an aggregated perspective by monitoring key metrics
Most of those describe you:
- You excel at writing and you like it. You write clearly and concisely. You care about every single word, about formatting, about presentation
- You like making spreadsheets
- You have a good sense of what makes a great product
- You work for users and customers primarily. You want to talk to customers.
- As an expert of nothing, you understand that your role is to ask questions and then structure and synthesize the answers you get
- A self starter capable of working autonomously, as well as within a diverse team setting
- You are good at verbal communication
Experience: 4+ years of experience in a product management, design, technical writing or software engineering, or QA role at a software company, preferably a SaaS
Code: You are not necessarily a coder, but you understand how APIs work and have at least written some scripts to query APIs yourself.
Language: completely fluent English, French is a plus but not necessary
Collaboration: Ability to build effective relationships with colleagues across organizations and functional groups
Project management: you are organized, able to manage multiple projects at the same time, and know how to report progress in a clear and interesting way
- A good compensation that gives you financial peace of mind, wherever you live
- 20 days of paid time off + 5 bank holidays
- Medical, dental and vision insurance (depending on the type of contract)
- Paid parental leave
How to apply:
We want to get a sense of how you write and think. To that end, please write an email that covers at least the following:
- Tell us why you would like to work on Awesome Table
- Provide a spec that you have written
- Tell us which statements don’t fit you in the list of qualities above, and how you make up for it
- We value great writers, so take your time with the application. Stock cover letters won’t do.
We value great writers, so please use your application to show off those skills. (stock cover letters won’t do)
Send to the email address indicated on WWR.
- We will first ask you a few targeted questions to be answered by email so as to get acquainted with you in writing.
- If that goes well, we’ll send you a product test, consisting of writing a spec and a little strategy exercise
- You’ll then move on to an interview with a Lead Engineer
- Finally, an interview with the CEO and CTO
We can’t wait to hear from you!